Saturday 23 July 2011

Team golf...


Played today in the Walker Cup, a Texas Scramble format honours board competition. I have to say that I love team golf and currently find it more fun than solo golf. Whether it is foursomes, greensomes, texas scramble it matters not: playing golf in a team is brilliant. Maybe it's becase I've always been a team sport player from a young age but the pulling together and the shared delight when you get success is brilliant. I drained a twelve footer today for birdie and it was a magic moment, I only hope I get more opportunities to play team golf in the future.

I had the pleasure of Malcolm, Tommy and Andy's company today and it was a very enjoyable round. We struggled to get close with our approach shots and with two birdies, 15 pars and a bogey on the last we came home with net 62.2 way off the pace with the winners bagging 57 point something. What was a nice touch was that a large cross section of the club were present as it was a shotgun start. Consequently, the committee had planned to do all the presentations for the past four month's competitions. That was a great idea and it was nice to see the winners of past competitions celebrated in front of a large crowd. It also spurred me on to get my own silverware, if I wasn't inspired enough before, I certainly was after the presentations. Andy who I played with today had snagged two awards, one in a medal and one in an honours board competition. Funnily enough he had said to me that  should sign up with him for the next medal and he'll help me manage my temperament as he believes I have the game to win.

Hit some good shots today and a fair few of the ones that were not so good were a direct result of pushing the envelope and being more aggressive because of the format. All in all an enjoyable days golf with a highlight being almost taking over as leader on the longest drive using my 3 wood. Can't wait till the driver gets here so I can take on the big hitters...

No comments:

Post a Comment