Saturday 16 July 2011

Nice weather for kite flying ducks...

Well I am soaked through but satisfied. The forecast for today was never going to be good and, while things weren't as tough as at Royal St Georges, it was still hard going. So much so that on my return to the clubhouse of the 20 players in the bar wringing out their socks, the highest score logged on the HowDidIDo machine was 35 points.

Things didn't start well. I sclaffed (this is a new word I've made up for a slappy, toey slice) my opening tee shot. Wedged sideways and wedge two putt for an opening five on our long par 3. Still got two points though, sometimes you feel criminal being a high handicapper. So onto the second hole and after a fat tee shot I hit my second beautifully crisp. It arced through the air, was caught by the wind and landed on the road,bouncing some 30 feet in the air. First thought was did that hit a car I bloody hope not. Fortunately, there was no traffic carnage caused, but somewhat unnerved I pulled my second shot into the gorse. My next attempt was pretty crap as well. Blob. Oh dear it was going to be one of those days.

Fast forward to the 4th hole and for the first time in my life I made par. My tempo was starting to get better and two stonking iron shots put me on the fringe of the green. I just my putt well and had a simple tap in. We'll pretend the 6th didn't happen and the 13th for that matter. Other than those holes I was striking the ball pretty well in tough conditions and putting well. The best moment of the day came on the 16th. Tee shot found the middle of the fairway, approach found the green and twenty foot putt found the middle of the cup. The players leaving the adjacent green must have though I was a tad barmy as I let out a huge roar of "Get in" accompanied by some enthusiastic fist pumping. I didn't care, that four pointer eradicated my blob on 13 and help me come back in 18 points. So a total of 36 points and the lead on count back from my playing partner.

Dampened kit, clobber and clothing but not spirits. Very happy with how things are going and am also in a team for next weekends Walker Cup. Playing off the whites is good for me!

90 (65)
5(3), -(5), 4(3), 4(4), 6(5), 7(3), 6(5), 5(4), 5(4), 5(4), 4(3), 7(5), 8(4), 6(4), 5(4), 3(4) 5(4), 5(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment