Saturday 2 July 2011

Promising signs

Went to bed last night very tired. It had been a long and tough week at work and to be perfectly honest the last thing I wanted to do was roll out of bed at 7am to play in the medal. However, once I had rubbed the sleep from my eyes, pulled on some clothes and jumped in the car things had changed. I was just looking forward to playing a round of golf with friends, I hadn't done that for quite a while.

The early signs weren't bad. Despite a bad tee shot on the first, I rescued the situation with a good chip over gorse and  went on to play the opening three holes bogey, bogey, bogey. Disaster struck on the 4th, bad tee shot, poor recovery, unlucky approach etc, etc, etc, cleared the green, found a bunker yadda, yadda, yadda, chipped through the green then putted back over it, blinking nora, blah, blah, blah one putt, NINE. Bugger. Bogey, double bogey, triple bogey, PAR woo hoo, back in the game. Nice.

Back nine was better than the front and in all I finished with 3 pars, 8 bogeys, 5 doubles and two bad holes. 38 points in stableford money, a net 70 (-1) in joyous stroke play medal currency. Whatever way you look at it I'm still off 27, and my main problem has been identified. More time to be spent down the range working on the long game and once my confidence and consistency is sorted I'll be cooking on gas. So I didn't set the world alight with my scoring but I made great progress today. Matched my best ever score off the whites, things are on the up...

97 (71)
4(3), 6(5), 4(3), 9(4), 6(5), 5(3), 8(5), 4(4), 5(4), 6(4), 4(3), 7(5), 4(4), 6(4), 6(4), 4(4), 5(4), 4(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment