Tuesday 19 July 2011

Is it really coming together?

Are the pieces of my golf jigsaw finally coming together?
So many false dawns, false alarms and false hopes. But today things felt like maybe, just maybe they are about to come together. The weather last weekend was horrendous and I had to scrap for every point. Went out today and though the rain curtailed my practice things looked like they were coming together.

Fourteen out of 22 160 yard approaches found the green. Of the eight that missed:

  • One found the greenside bunker
  • One rolled off the green to the left
  • Three rolled off the green to the right and
  • Three missed the green right
All were playable and were chipped to within eight feet. I then did my usual chipping practice, some high, some low, some with roll some to a tight pin. Into the horrible, wet compacted bunker and again things were much better. A whistle stop tour of the practice facilities finished with a few solid putts before the heavens opened and I dashed for cover.

Nothing spectacular you might think but for me it was a big step forward. Mainly because I was so relaxed and was feeling my shots. Sun in my eyes on approaches but I knew where they would land and shielding my eyes saw them drop exactly where I expected them to. Head down on chips but knew instinctively if they were short long or pin high. I feel more in control and I can feel when my swing is working and when it is not. Progress till now has been slow but if my ball striking at the range tomorrow morning follows suit things will indeed be looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment