Thursday 29 July 2010

Tweaking it

Couldn't make it to the range after work last night so headed to the club for some twilight practice. Whilst there I learnt a very important lesson: always, always take your waterproofs. Ensue a heavy downpour and my approach shot and short game practice was brought to a sad, swift, sodden and abrupt conclusion. Unpeturbed I had about 25 minutes putting practice and gave my kit a good clean.

The clubs and golf shoes are now sparkling but more importantly I have made another tweak to my putting that I hope will make a big difference. I use a blade putter and at times lose a little control of the clubhead at impact. I made a slight alteration to my grip last night and it seemed to make a positive change to clubhead and pace control.

When the missus is feeling a little less anti golf I'll get her to snap my grip change as a picture paints a thousand words. I doubt you'd want to read a mini dissertation on the subject so I'll attempt to describe the change in 47 words as an interim measure.

Previously, my index finger on my right hand was in the same hook position I used for normal shots, curved around the back of the club and making a downward facing V with my thumb. I now stretch that finger out and 'point' along my target line as I follow through.

OK so that was 51 words but what's a mini clause between friends? Can't wait to get out on Saturday. Hoping to go to the range on Friday in preparation for what should be an interesting round this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment