Monday 19 July 2010

Monkey see, monkey do...

Watched a fair amount of the Open this weekend. I was disappointed at the way it turned out, with the weather on Friday giving Oosthuizen a massive advantage. However, he still had to take his chance and I think he played tremendously well to hold his nerve. My bets didn't perform as well as I'd hoped but I have learnt that hindsight is a wonderful tool when gambling ;0). I should seriously have put an each way flutter on Westwood ahead of Tiger but went with nostalgia rather than common sense...oh well.

What I did learn was a lot from players set up, especially with 3 Wood, irons and on the putting green. From now on I will allow my hands to relax more freely on iron and wood shots, a factor that may be helped by getting an extra 0.5 inch on my irons shaft length. I went over the heath for the first time in ages and was hitting my pitching wedge pretty well. I've got a Shotmiser on my birthday wish list so hopefully I'll soon know my wedge distances as well.

The biggest revelation was on their putting where they have the ball closer to their front foot than I do meaning they hit the ball on the upstroke. A fact reinforced by the chap in American golf who demonstrated putting with a sand wedge to further illustrate the point.

No game this weekend but I'm looking forward to playing on Sunday with a couple of friends who are thinking of joining my course. It would be great if they did as they are both much better than I am and excellent company. I've kept the how long till I break 100 poll up but to be honest I'm not really that fussed anymore, just hope I enjoy my game this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment