Friday 16 July 2010

Eat. Look. Think.

I mentioned a couple of weeks back that my mum came up to stay. Now while it had a detrimental effect on my golf playing time, it had a positive effect on breakfast time. Sadly that pleasure came to an end this morning as I finished off the last of the Czar plum jam. That's one of the benefits of living in Suffolk: great quality, locally produced preserves. Mum treated me to a jar of this jam and some Apple Chutney which will be getting demolished this evening with some pork chops, mature cheddar and sauteed potatoes.

But enough culinary chat, where's the tenuous link back to golf? Well, having enjoyed fruit jam on toast, I then proceeded to continue with my morning ritual of looking like a prize plum practicing my chipping stroke with my umbrella. The other bloke at the bus stop thought I was decidedly odd but I continued unabated, and that got me thinking.

It's funny how when you least expect it you have a Eureka moment. Unlike Archimedes, it happened after my daily bathing ritual. I'm too asleep in the shower to have blinding moments of clarity, but as the end of my umbrella scuffed the tarmac I started thinking that I'd been playing like a plum. You know how I've been saying that my chips kept running past the hole? Well I realised today that my ball position is in line with the back of my right foot. I started thinking, as my brolly brushed the floor just after the middle of my stance, that I was delofting my clubs which would mean getting more roll than expected. Mmmmmm. Will see next time out if moving it forward into the middle of my stance has any positive effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment