Friday 23 July 2010

A different kind of driving...

Here's a little fact that you don't know about me, I haven't passed my driving test, actually I hadn't until this afternoon. When I was 17 I was a passenger in a nasty car accident. Our car was hit on the side by car doing 50 that ignored a red light. We were thrown over the road into a lamp post and my mates legged it because they thought it was going to blow up. They got 50 metres away looked round and couldn't see me. They then came running back to the car to get me out. I was semi conscious and trapped, the firemen had to cut me from the wreckage and for for six hours I couldn't feel me legs. It was the longest six hours of my life. It won't surprise you that I didn't get in a car for a year after that and subsequently I gave up on my driving lessons.

At University I decided to give it another go, but circumstance, finance and time conspired against me and I had a nightmare on my test and failed with more majors than the British Army.

Two years ago I took my theory test. My other half was pregnant with our little one, I wanted to get my driving sorted. A month after my theory I lost sensation in my left leg, a week later my right had joined it and a couple of days after that I had my major relapse. I was diagnosed with MS and without proper sensation in my feet driving had to take a back seat.

I've been dependent on friends and my other half to get from A-B, including my frequent trips to Cambridge for my follow up appointments. Today I finally got that monkey off my back with the help of ace South African driving instructor John Round. My theory test certificate expires tomorrow, so its a good job I passed today. I'm so relieved and happy. I can now do my fair share of driving, take the little one out for father son day trips and take command of my golfing life. Hopefully, this will mean I spend more time at the range practicing that other form of driving.

2 comments:

  1. Scary stuff mate but at least you've done it. I'm in the same boat you were but more through sheer laziness. I was born and bred a Londoner and so was use to having public transport virtually 24/7. I could do Wembley to Morden (bottom of Northern Line) in an hour with good connections so never thought too much of it.

    When I moved to Bracknell it was like throwback to old time. Buses stop by about 9.00pm and are pretty infrequent anyway. HID was always/still is pretty good about givinh me lifts etc so I've pretty much taken it for granted. It wouldn't be so bad except the father in law is a driving instructor! I think you might have given me the kick up the proverbial to get my finger out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dud have experience before but hadn't driven in 12 years. I passed with a couple of minors in six weeks with 21 hours of lessons. It doesn't have to be a long drawn out affair and our car insurance actually went down with me added as a named driver. Do it Homer you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete