Monday 26 July 2010

Consistent shot shape

This is liable to change in a month but currently I'm hitting a gentle to moderate fade. I'll be able to live quite happily with that if it stays that way, at least for a complete round. Started aiming drives down the left hand side of the fairway to allow for the shape and though I was rather depressed to hit a couple of lovely draws that got me in trouble, for the most part it worked.

I am due for a swing MOT soon and to date every lesson I've had has impacted on my shot shape, so expecting some changes. A gentle draw would be more advantageous at my track as the majority of trouble is found on the right side of the course.

I must admit to feeling very different about my golf after Sundays round. I know there were a lot of people who advised me to get a 3 wood sooner but I honestly think struggling with my long irons was a good thing. My course management has benefitted hugely but mire importantly I think I have much more confidence in pulling a 4 iron from the bag as I know I can strike it solidly. My playing partner still struggles with his irons and has increasingly sought solace in the larger confidence inspiring head of his driver.

I'm genuinely hopeful that I'm about to turn quite a significant corner on my golfing odyssey. With more forgiving fairways and softer greens around the corner I'm feeling optimistic about what the autumn will bring. It looks unlikely that I will be able to submit a card before the next medal. What I do wonder is what the handicap secretary will do if I suddenly have a blinder on my 3rd card. Oh well that's not for a fortnight and there's plenty of golf to be played between now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment