Sunday 4 July 2010

Project Scratched

I've been thinking long and hard about this for a while now. Back in December the Project Scratch idea was created by another golfer. He took the wise option of opting out early doors and I felt compelled to carry it on. I've previously said on the Golf Monthly forum that if it ever came to a point where I was no longer enjoying my golf I'd give up the project and that point was reached today. I had a long chat in the bar with the club captain who I played with in today's medal and he said quite plainly that there is a clearly a decent golfer in there but I'm applying so much pressure to myself it's having a massive negative impact on my performance and enjoyment of the game.

I still want to practice, I still want to take lessons, I still want to improve but above all that I just want to enjoy playing with my mates. I want to savour the good shots and laugh off the bad ones. I want to have fun on the course, and not have a bad round affect my mood off it. I can't do any of those things whilst I'm still attempting this ticking time bomb project.

Back when I started I didn't really care about my handicap I just wanted to hit some good shots, post a half decent score and have a laugh and that's exactly what I intend to do. I'm still weighing up what to do with the blog, whether to reinvent it revolving around my love of the beautiful game or scrap it completely.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you to all who have supported me to this stage, for your comments, advice, hints, tips, suggestions I've really valued your contributions, and hopefully I'll meet some of you on a golf course in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Rebrand it and call it something else but keep the blog going. I find mine cathartic especially when I had my slump. You write some good stuff and I enjoy your reviews.

    I don't think I'm going to meet the main goal of my blog and hit single figures but I'll keep it going and sse where the journey takes me.

    I think you've made the right choice about ditching the project but I still think that with lessons and less pressure you can get your official handicap and then work at chipping away at it. I think once you get the first cut you'll start to tumble quickly. Even if you only ever get to 24 you can go out and play with freedom now and not worry. Get the driving sorted, work on the course management and go out without any expectations and enjoy it.

    Homer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Homer, most appreciated. Will definitely rebrand the blog and keep it alive...

    Thanks again, Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiger

    I think you've made the right decision if your no longer enjoying the game. John Richardson did his project in a year but I would never be allowed the time to do the amount of practice he did and I can see it becoming a chore.

    Enjoy it and your scores will drop but keep the blog going! Its been a great read.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John, appreciate the kind words about the blog. I have no idea how John Richardson got away with it but at least his challenge was over a year, for five years I think it would have been off to the divorce courts. I'm curious about how I'll play next time out when I'm swinging freely. Hoping for a round Sunday so will post then. I hope you continue to enjoy the blog.

    ReplyDelete