Saturday 17 July 2010

Outlook's not too rosy

Hit some balls with the 3 wood which is beginning to take better shape. I've noticed that I'm getting better strike when I concentrate on keeping the clubhead inside the line to strike the 3-6 quadrant (if you imagine the ball as a clockface). Had a fair few that rolled out to about 250 yards but I'd be much happier with less distance and more control. Unfortunately, no chance of hitting the course this weekend so the visit to the range came off the back of helping my mate decide on his new irons and putter. He knew what he wanted but wanted the comfort of having someone else with him to help him make up his mind.

When he got measured I decided to get measured as well to discover that my current irons are 0.5 inches too short. Mire than a tad frustrating but with a little extra knee flex they'll be ok till I get my grips changed in September / October when I'll get plugs put in.

And of course my first 'horse' has fallen at Beechers brook as Justin Rose failed to make the cut. It was enthralling to see the old Lady fight back on day two, with young Rory McIlroy taking the biggest bitch slapping. At least he maintained his record of never shooting in the 70's at St Andrews but my heart did go out to him. So my hopes of a win hinge on how Tiger gets on this weekend and whether Oosthuizen can hang on.