Saturday 7 May 2011

Seve Ballesteros: Golf Icon

I didn't really like golf in the 80's, actually to be honest I didn't really like golf until a couple of years ago. I found it boring to watch and couldn't quite understand the fascination with the sport that captivated my brother whenever it appeared on television. Despite all that, there was one golfer who I could connect with, one who I did admire, one whose cavalier approach to the game was so awe-inspiring it transcended all the issues I had with the sport. That man was Seve Ballesteros. When I watch old clips on YouTube now, I am even more amazed by his skill, flair and audacity. When I took up the game I wanted to have a short game like Seve, play delicate floaty bunker shots like him, bend the ball around impossible angles like him.

And so, like the rest of the golfing world I am in mourning for an inspirational, courageous man. Seve you are a legend, an icon and a golfing great. You will be sorely missed by millions. You blessed our lives with your wizardry, touched our hearts with your bravery and will be cherished forever in our memory. Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment