Thursday 26 May 2011

A case of the unmentionables...

I didn't want to recognise that it happened at first, perhaps it was a momentary blip. Unfortunately it wasn't. It was an evening practice session ruined by an inexplicable case of the shermans. I'm putting it down to being an off night and that usual service will resume on Friday. That said it did momentarily knock the wind out of my sails as I couldn't figure out why it was happening. Once my mind became focussed on the fact the problem was there I had no choice but to abandon approach practice and play in the sand pit.

Bunkers are still crazy hard for me but at least with my new regimen of drawing lines in the sand I can see the issue is where my club strikes the sand. I guess plenty of regular practice is the trick but it's finding the time that's the problem.

It all boils down to my commute. Trekking to London three times per week severely limits opportunities to play and practice. I spend over 4.5 hrs travelling when I hit the big smoke. That's 13.5 hrs a week. Imagine how much better I'd be if I could spend half that time on the course. More importantly imagine how much more supportive of my golf needs my missus would be if I spent the other half of that time being a doting hubby and father.

Mmmm this hints at issues caused by the other unmentionable word: recession. Seeing as there are no jobs in my neck of the woods (well none that pay enough/that I'm qualified to do) I need to work for myself. Not the best time for a new business start up but Operation New Career (codename: Happy Days) is underway. Having watched The Apprentice I think maybe I should have applied. The majority of the men this year are seriously weak and a £250k start up investment would be pretty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment