Thursday 5 May 2011

Getting there...

Dejection on the course: a familiar feeling this month
Went out this evening and played nine holes. With the May medal looming this weekend I have been worried that my latest swing change would not bed down in time. After today I feel more hopeful that I'll be able to put in a good showing on Saturday. It wasn't spectacular by any means and I still have problems skying my hybrid and 3 wood. Throw in a few shonky putts and a rushed hole when I was given the chance to play through and I walked off with 16 points knowing full well that I'd left a good 4 or 5 out there.

The grip is starting to feel more natural and there were signs that the red dot and my modified re shot routine will yield positive results. Trying to get better at this game is tough and often frustrating but days like today offer a glimmer of hope and a vindication for all the hard work. After my round I spent 20 minutes on the putting green, something I've neglected recently. That was also time well spent and I feel I have a lot more confidence now.

The fairways are hard and fast and I think that I will take advantage of this by playing my 4 iron more regularly off the tee to help boost and maintain my confidence. Get it in play and then make decisions from there. I have no idea what has happened with my 3 wood but I just cannot find that low penetrating flight I had a few weeks ago. There is no time to resolve that issue before the weekend but next week I feel a trip to the range may be in order.

I guess the moral of the story for anyone else out there who is struggling with swing changes is stick with it. Now when I get it right I have much more control over the ball and get better results. It's been painful, at times distressing, and quite arduous. I also imagine there is more pain to come but for now I'm happy to be making small progress.

42 (31)
5(4), 5(3), 7(5), -(4), 5(4), 7(4), 5(4), 4(4), 4(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment