Monday 9 May 2011

Dejected, Downhearted, Despondent...

isastrous it was and trawling the dictionary for any other adjectives beginning with D that can sum up my golfing mood...ah yes Despair. It's all gone horribly wrong. 110 in the medal, seven penalties, good shots punished with bad bounces. The word nightmare doesn't come close. Out in 60, back in 50 AND with two pars on the scorecard. It really was a car crash of a round. I did have a lot on my mind, as well as the golf there was also the fact that I was back on the Radio 1 Surgery on Sunday night. The radio stint went well, the golf didn't and time for me to back to another D, the Drawing board.

Having spoken to the assistant pro after my round there is clearly one thing letting me down, Direction. There were very few shots wasted yesterday because of a poor connection. In fact the connection was significantly better with the new grip. The problem was controlling where the ball went. The plan of action? Shorten my back swing.

So for the foreseeable future i am only permitted to play and practice with a half back swing. I also have to take more time in my practice as if I was playing a shot on the course everytime. This means deliberately spending longer lining up each shot and getting my set up and posture consistent. I'm allowed to spend the same amount of time practicing but only permitted to hit half as many balls. As it is the summer I should b ok for distance as our baked fairways are rolling like tarmac. I did hit some good shots yesterday, the putting was solid if unspectacular as was my chipping. Those 7 penalties alone equated to 13 lost shots and removing those sticks me at 97. I'm putting it down as a bad day at the office but with a holiday coming up I'm not sure if the break from golf will be a good or a bad thing.

110 (71)
7(3), 7(5), 6(3), 7(4), 8(5), 4(3), 10(5), 5(4), 6(4), 4(4), 4(3), 9(5), 6(4), 6(4), 7(4), 4(4), 5(4), 5(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment