Tuesday 24 May 2011

Aint nobody...

Aint nobody, does it better... OK, OK I have slightly modified the lyrics but stick with me. Simon 'Chaka' Khan. Probably my favourite golf story of 2010. Loses his card in November 2009 and has to go back through Q School. Earns his card but needs to rely on a sponsors invite to play in the BMW Championship. He finds out he has a place in the competition on the Monday and despite making the cut is well adrift on Saturday. He feels at home at Wentworth and it seems fitting that it was the venue of his greatest triumph.

Khan's own words after the tournament are a perfect summary. "When I birdied the 10th I just reminded myself that this is what you always dreamed of doing. This place inspires me. This tournament is the reason I started playing golf."

His final round 66 was sublime, made even more impressive as a host of recognised golf faces were chewed up by the elements and revamped course. It is a tragedy that Khan's victory was overshadowed by the controversy surrounding Els' adjustments. I can only hope that 'Chaka' repeats the feat on the Tour this year. He strikes me a being a thoroughly humble and down to earth star, a worthy winner and a fantastic role model.

In the interim savour this magical clip from the European Tour. No prizes for guessing which tour star 'shoots' the clay pigeon!

No comments:

Post a Comment