Monday 30 May 2011

Fantastic fourball

What a great day. Played my first mini Golf Monthly Forum meet which I hosted at my home club Waldringfield. First off huge thanks to Dave, Craig and Les for their cracking company and quality banter. Though the fairways were scorched there were plenty of compliments for the greens which ran very true. Craig instantly was at home with his flat stick dropping putts from literally all over the place. It got silly on the 8th when he requested a gimme for a fifteen footer which was obviously rejected and then nonchalantly stroked it home anyway.

As far as my game goes the positive progress certainly continued. The request from the other lower handicappers that I "show them the way". Nerves were jangling but although I pulled it I made solid connection and finished almost pin high to the left of the green. Unfortunately, after my chip I had a sloppy three putt for 2 points.Then disaster struck on second. Duffed tee shot, toed chip into the sand, bunker shot into gorse, next bunker shot just out of the sand, next shot into the gorse, blob. Then Dave gave me a Bridgestone B330S to try. What. A. Ball. It added a few more yards definitely but was much softer around the greens. Though I only picked up a solitary point on the 3rd my ball striking was on the up. 3points for the first three holes, 36 points for the next 15 and that included some sloppy putting and one stroke of bad luck.

On the back nine it was Les' turn to go up a gear, scoring birdie, par, birdie, par from 10-13. I thought my pulled 3 iron on the 15th would be punished but I didn't realise how much. As we strode off to the left of the fairway in search of it I saw Dave pointing at something at the base of a tree stump. That can't be it surely. That would be the harshest rub of the green of all ti....Bastardo. I took my drop, duffed the next and wound up with a seven for one point. But as I see it at least I bagged a point. Dave then scored birdie, birdie, par on the closing holes to wrap up what had been a great game with highlights for all of us.

Anyway 39 points and I am definitely getting much more consistent. There was sniff of a chance to break 90 today but that evaporated on the 2nd. I have a feeling that a big cut and a sub 90 score are brewing. I am really disappointed that my nieces christening means that I can't play in the Club Championships as on this form I think I would have a real chance of the nett competition. Nevermind the kudos lies in winning it gross and I have a way to go to nab that.

Craig, Dave and Les I hope to play with you again in the near future.

86 (66)
5(3), -(5), 5(3), 5(4), 6(5), 4(3), 6(5), 5(4), 5(4), 4(3), 4(3), 6(5), 4(4), 5(3), 7(4), 5(4), 5(4), 5(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment