Saturday 28 May 2011

20:20 vision

Out with 20 points, back with 20 points and things are on the up. Had it not been for a shaky three holes on the back nine it could have been so much better. I am still struggling with releasing the club through impact. All those days yearning to emulate David Gower in the nets at school have cost me massively. I used to hit some cracking cover drives in my day, now it is causing me to lose shots right. The wind was certainly not helping today either. One lost ball  on the 8th, which should be an easy 2 points and turned into a tough 1 point as I made par with my second tee shot. The first just snuck out of bounds never to be seen again.

But there is certainly a clarity forming around my game. I know where my bad shot will go. I know why my bad shot happens, so with a little more work hopefully I can fix that flaw. My chipping is solid but at times let down by poor club choice. I know when my tempo is off and how to remedy it on course. All in all for the first time I am actually building an understanding of my game. Though I'm far from consistent, at least I can allow for my short comings.

My 20 points out was enough to scoop the swindle pot on the front nine and my total of 40 points won overall. We had a four way tie on the back nine and I lost on countback (blinking blob on 15!). But today was fun as well as being a step in the right direction. Club Assistant Pro got a big hug when I came off the course, it's just a shame that I'm not able to play in the medal and club championship next weekend.

As for the dip on the back nine...The group in front were being held up and one of their number left early on the 14th hole. As a result my twoball joined the twoball in front. I lost my tempo for three holes and hit some poor shots. A lucky daisy cutter on 16th wound up on the green, I two putted and regained my composure. Shame really but a helpful reminder that tempo is everything. As for my winnings, it's being spent on coffee and cake to appease the missus when we go shopping this afternoon. I'm still in the doghouse but she does love a Costa...

FIR 25%, GIR 12%, Putts 31, Scrambles 20%

86 (67)
4(3), 6(5), 5(3), 5(4), 8(5), 3(3), 6(4), 4(4), 4(4), 4(3), 5(5), 6(4), 6(4), -(4), 5(4), 4(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment