Wednesday 4 May 2011

Father and son

Gator Golf: just not realistic enough
It was just like one of those too good to miss Supermarket deals: 11 days off for the price of 3. I did have to recount a couple of times before handing in the annual leave card but it was an inspired decision. Despite playing a lot of golf the highlight for me was much closer to home. My son is now officially golf nuts. His 'swing' is more of a hockey push at the moment but he is keen to get the real deal.

Two days ago we sat down and watched The Masters recording instead of Ice Age (for those of you without kids that's huge). He refuses to play Gator Golf with me as it's not proper golf. Instead I have had to bring my putting mat upstairs as he wants to hit the ball in a hole. Colourful plastic golf balls are out only real ones will do. He's obviously content to build his game as he has snubbed my premium Z-Stars in favour of a Wilson Distance ball. I took him over to the Heath with his plastic club and golf ball but he cried because he wanted me to take him onto Rushmere Golf Course. He now wants a golf cap like Daddy and woke my missus at 7am yesterday coming into our room, putting my cap on and proceeding to whack his ball round the bedroom. And to top it all off he no longer wants his lavender snuggly cat at bedtime insisting on dozing off cuddling his plastic driver and holding his golf ball.

I'm delighted. My dad was a keen gardener and my fingers were anything but green. Now he has gone I wish we had spent more time together. Last night when I came home from work I spent 15 minutes on the putting mat playing with Tiger jnr amidst a cacophony of childish giggles and screams of "what a good shot". I hope it is the start of things to come and the creation of many golfing memories to cherish!

No comments:

Post a Comment