Monday 14 February 2011

Six shooter...

Nipped out on my lunch break for a swift six holes and another chance to try the Titleist D2 910 Driver. Now on the Driver front I am forced to concede that I am just not ready yet. More swing/set up work is needed before I can make an informed decision as I just keep skying the blinking thinking. On the three driveable holes I hit fairway twice and just missed it once but only hit it 214, 219 and 239 yards. Until I can launch my driver on the same trajectory as my long irons, hybrid and 3 wood there is no way of making an informed decision. As context I hit my hybrid about 220 yards on average and my 3 wood about 235 yards, though I occasionally rip one way out there!

Anyway, back to my performance today and a vast improvement on Saturday. Ball striking still not quite on the money but a great tip from our assistant pro (after my round) on keeping down through impact should help me with my ball flight in the future. Unusually I was guilty of poor putting today and three unnecessary three stabs hurt my scoring massively. Chipping is much improved: solid connection just need to improve distance control through better club choice.

The opening six holes contains stroke index 1,3,5 and 7 and can be quite an unforgiving beginning to a round. Despite that shoddy performance with the flat stick I was +8 through six scoring bogey, double, bogey, bogey, double, bogey. A total of 14 stableford points, no penalties and the solitary GIR. But I am happy as I am continuing to make progress in the right direction. If I can score like that when the long game is off, it bodes well for when it is clicking.

Final bit of news for the day is that I celebrated Valentines Day by declaring my continued love of Waldringfield Golf Club by paying my subs for 2011/12. I hope to spend even more time up there as the evenings get lighter and I have to say that practicing my playing a few holes outstrips the range by a long, long way...

31 (23)
4 (3), 7 (5), 4 (3), 5(4), 7 (5), 4 (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment