Monday 21 February 2011

New balls please...

18 months in and finally things are starting to come together. Had an enjoyable lunch break working on my wedge approaches and chipping. The latter is alomost unrecognisable from where it was a few months ago. Good distance control, solid connection and sound control. Wedge approaches aren't quite on the same level but at least now I am making cleaner contact, with fewer duffs and better dispersion.

Having spent a significant amount of time this month practicing on the course my accuracy has improved considerably. That, coupled to a significant reduction in penalties has led me to the decision that as the winter fades away it is time to put a better ball into play.

Now I know I get a lot more check when I play a premium ball, especially on my chips. I also think that knowing the ball will check will make me more confident in playing chips around the green. Greater control should lead to more opportunities for one putts and par scrambles. There is obviously a danger that a higher spinning ball will wreak havoc with my long game, but there is only one way to find out. So this Saturday in the swindle, unless there is a monsoon making the whole experiment pointless, I'll be teeing it up with a Srixon Z-Star X. If it goes well I'll be looking to purchase a whole load more before the bargain basement stocks are depleted.

No comments:

Post a Comment