Wednesday 2 February 2011

The long and short of it

I bought my first golf clubs in November 2009. A little over a year later and I am close to completing my set. I currently have 13 clubs and have always felt that 15 would be a solid number. My thinking being that in the winter I'd need more long range options and as the greens get firmer through Spring/Summer more short game options. I have always stated I would steer well clear of two clubs till I felt confident enough to use them. I have been working long and hard on my full swing and short game and now feel ready for a driver and lob wedge.

I'm hopefully picking up an ex demo lob from my pro on Saturday and will use it as I hone my short game ahead of the start of the season. My shot selection around the green has matured enough that I feel I can be trusted with a lob. My technique is steadily improving as well so there is a reduced likelihood that when the situation genuinely calls for more loft I'll not blade it into trouble.

At the opposite end of the spectrum I am looking forward to having a little bit more length off the tee. That said my course management has evolved around an iron only strategy. That coupled to the fact my course is pretty short, means that for the most part the big dog will stay in the bag, especially during medal rounds.

If I could go back in time there are a lot of things I may have changed about my approach to golf. One thing that I'd definitely keep the same has been the rather laborious way I've grown my bag. I even prioritised a GPS over a driver! I believe my iron play is much better as a result. I also have a better idea of how to plot my way around a course. Two months to go and things are progressing nicely. First major litmus test in this weekend's medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment