Thursday 10 February 2011

Questions and answers...

I recently posed two very innocent questions on the Golf Monthly Forum. The first was to try and understand what is actually meant by golfers when they refer to 'feel'. The second related to what the difference was between forged and cast irons. On the back of the discussion I determined that feel was a bit of a nebulous concept (with a wide range of interpretations) and that I had no intention of swapping my game improving shovel for a butter knife.

Fast forward to today where I had a quick telephone conversation with my pro that has led to me being the world's biggest hypocrite.

I'm playing on Saturday with a group who have a regular weekend 'swindle'. They are a good bunch so it will be nice, fun relaxed golf and a perfect opportunity to take the 910 driver back out on the course. What that has done is thrown up another term I don't fully understand 'forgiveness'. Now with a driver does it mean off centre strikes travel a bit further and straighter? That's what I am assuming. After my last time out with the D2 frequent checking of the head showed repeated strikes in the centre. The ball went straight a lot of the time as well. Problem was it came down with snow on it. To address this I am going out this weekend armed with the D3 and a lower spinning shaft (yes I do recall what I said earlier about butter knives). In my defence I did have concerns that I may not get the best out of the D3 because it has less forgiveness. However I now understand that if I am smacking it out of the middle and the ball flies left or right of target that is a swing fault and wielding a D2 will not correct that. Forgiveness yes, miracle worker no!

If things do go disastrously wrong with the D3 we'll go back to the D2 with a lower spinning shaft. But despite the dreary weather outside my sunny disposition thinks that won't be necessary. We'll see on Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment