Saturday 5 February 2011

Flu stops play...temporarily

Unfortunately, my better half has come down with a stinking flu bug. That put pay to my entry in this morning's monthly medal as I played nurse. However, she is feeling much better now and I even managed to sneak off to the course for an hour and a half practice while the little man had his afternoon nap. More short game work using the target circles and mid irons into the howling wind.

First things first the target circles. So far not that impressed. Don't get me wrong they are a handy visual reference but for what they do they are overpriced. A full review will follow soon but they work best if you use them as a landing reference point rather than a marker around the hole.

Next the wind. I'm actually rather happy the missus was ill as the wind today was horrific. Hitting shots on the practice hole I was aiming 15 yards left of target, even hitting some shots with a little draw and they were landing 15 yards right of target. Playing in those conditions would have been extremely challenging and I can only hope that the wind is a little less brutal tomorrow.

Finally, I bought a new toy today. My pro is selling off his old demo clubs and I picked up a hardly used 60.7 old grooves Vokey wedge for £40. Absolute bargain. Now while it is in the bag for tomorrow, it is only reserved for special circumstances, with the lie being a key determining factor. This is more a long term purchase as, with the wedge rules changing, I wanted to get a lob before the old stocks ran out. With the old style selling at premium rate this was a bargain too good to miss. Will it be my lucky charm tomorrow? We'll have to wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment