Saturday 26 February 2011

Dampened...but not my spirits

Great day today. Admittedly the foul weather had arguably made the course easier with nine holes on temporary greens but you can only play what is in front of you. Cold, damp, rainy and windy it wasn't easy playing today but I'm please with how I performed. Primarily my putting and chipping were very solid and I finished with 30 putts today, with a number of one putts set up by solid chips.

Unfortunately, I couldn't put the Z-Stars into play as there was little point on temporary greens. A minor blip on the 8th hole saw me hit two consecutive tee shots out of bounds and a solitary blob on the card. As there were only six of us we opted against individual play and instead played as two threeballs and played better ball stableford with two scores counting on each hole. We didn't fare too well on the front nine but had a stormer coming back racking up 47 points. Our total was 84 points one shy of the other groups 85 point total.

On a personal note I amassed 39 points and to be honest my striking from the tee was a little iffy. From the deck however, it was much better and with some solid chipping I was avoiding anything worse than a double bogey. Just a solitary triple and one NR on the scorecard and more interestingly only one par. Now I know that I can par at least five or six holes on the course and to score 39 points with only one on the card is actually a positive sign. To me it shows that I am starting to cut out the costly errors and playing more consistent golf.

However, the biggest revelation that helped me score 21 points on the back nine came from a tip from my playing partner today. He suggested I was teeing the ball too low and that by teeing higher I would get a cleaner connection. Wow! What a difference. Ball striking much improved and a solid tee shot adds confidence to you when you play your approach. It got so much better that on the 16th I actually outdrove my playing partners, although I did end up in the gorse, using a 3 iron to their driver.

Things are looking up, but as I write the rain is pouring down outside and there is a danger that next week's medal may be called off. I really hope not...

89 (67)
5(3), 6(5), 3(3), 7(4), 6(5), 5(3), 6(5), -(4), 5(4), 5(4), 4(3), 6(5), 6(4), 5(4), 6(4), 5(4), 5(4), 4(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment