Sunday 13 February 2011

Lottery...

The time has come and after much umming and ahhing I've decided to pay my subs early this year. At my club everyone who pays their subs by Valentines Day gets entered into a prize draw that takes place at the Captain's Drive In. The first three names out of the hat win their subs back. As with everyone, finances are tight but I am increasingly hopeful that things are looking promising on the work front. I should make it through the redundancy process, which is a massive relief. Though I can't rest easy until I've got that confirmation letter in my hands the odds of winning a free annual membership are low enough to make it too tempting not to try.

So from one lottery to another: my short game. Actually, that is a slightly inaccurate statement. My short game used to be a lottery. As with putting, I think chipping is a personal thing. It is more about touch than swing mechanics. As a result I have only ever had one lesson on each element to understand the basic principles and since then I have relied upon training aids, videos, magazine tips, Dave Pelz Short Game Bible, watching other players and of course plenty of trial and error. It has actually been a rather enjoyable journey. My favourite shots in golf are long putts that snake in, wedge shots hit stiff and chip and runs that flirt with the cup before plopping in. The fact that I can now execute them makes the game so much more enjoyable. When I find myself on the fringes, in a bunker or in the rough around the green I see it is a chance to hit a great recovery shot, rather then a moment for self-abasement.

Interestingly, having a better understanding of how to set up and execute shots has improved my visualisation. I now spend more time thinking about and determining how the ball will behave on the green because I have more control over where I want it to land.

I'm playing in the third round of the Winter League next Saturday and am really looking forward to it. Keep it in play and get myself near the green in regulation. No silly penalties and lots of fun. Can't wait. It's funny how much I am enjoying my golf now. I guess being confident when you are near the dancefloor plays an important part of it. What a fantastic game!

No comments:

Post a Comment