Tuesday 9 February 2010

Golf Rules Quick Reference: Book review

Golf Rules Quick Reference, Yves C. Ton-That 
(Artigo, 2008)
I've only played one round before, well I say round it was 15 holes of hacking away in the rough with the occasional glimpse of a decent golf shot. I stood on 3rd tee, a reachable par 3 for me unlike the 203 yard opening hole. This was my chance to look like I belonged on a golf course.

Solid pre shot routine and a great hit. Must have been twenty feet from the pin, I was well pleased with myself till I turned round to see a disappointed head shake. The player I was playing with pointed out I had teed off about an inch in front of the tee markers.

Take it again, "better you learn now than in competition". I got lucky and hit a better tee shot about twelve feet from the pin. We didn't add the penalty and I three putted for a four. Most important thing wasn't the missed birdie (and par) opportunity. No the most important thing was learning a very valuable lesson: know the rules.

Every other sport I've played I've learnt the rules whilst playing at a young age. This was different I was entering a new world full of adults who won't take too kindly to you taking a drop shot at the point where your ball disappeared out of bounds (yes I have done this as well).

So I invested in this pocket rules book. At first I was unimpressed. It's so small and thin where's my money gone. Then I took a step and realised that in reality this was quite possibly the most important golf purchase I will ever make.

The book starts with an introduction to the general rules of play and is then neatly subdivided into different categories depending on whether you are:
  • on the tee
  • fairway & rough
  • bunker play
  • water hazard
  • green

As a result it is very easy to find the rule relating to the situation you are in. I now have a much better understanding of the rules of the game and that will hold me in good stead for the future. There's also a really useful summary on the back page.

It's at this point that the slim, light and laminated presentation made infinite sense. The book lives in my bag ready to be taken out whatever the weather to ensure I play in the true spirit of the game.

My rating: 91%

ISBN 3909596196

To buy this book click the image below:

No comments:

Post a Comment