Tuesday 23 February 2010

Total Golf & Second Half Thinking

Continuing with the Sir Clive Woodward inspiration today's focus is on Total Rugby,This is England and Second Half Thinking. My first love and passion in sport was Football. Although I missed out on the wonderful Brazil team of the 1960's and Dutch team of the 1970's, my early football coaches tried to instill their total football approach into us from an early age. The concept is that everyone can play everywhere and it's probably no surprise that by the time I hung up my boots last summer I had played centre back, central midfield, centre forward, right wing and in goal. I also played a bit of Rugby though I took up the game late and played during my University years. As a late comer to the game it was easier for me to slot into the forwards as a lock or number 8 but because of my speed I'd often appear on overlaps, occasionally to devastating effect. As a result I understood what Sir Clive meant by his vision of Total Rugby.

So what is Total Golf? Well some of it I've already covered. Like Sir Clive I am moving away from the traditions of the power game (woods & long irons = forwards) instead wanting to develop a devastating scoring game (short irons, wedges & putter = backs). But Total Golf is more than a simple refocussing of priorities. It's also about developing my creativity on the golf course and as such I aspire to learn a thing or to about the wonderful inventiveness of Seve Ballesteros. To be the best I can be I need to cast off preconceptions about each club as a I learn the game and start to think of ways each club could be used in a wide variety of situations. However, before I start experimenting, like Sir Clive I'm going to concentrate on getting the basics right.

And that leads me to This is England, or I should say This is Golf. Sir Clive pulled the entire England management team and playing squad together to discuss different approaches, ways of enhancing their ability to perform, to reflect on the seemingly minute details that could potentially have a massive impact. Fresh off the wall ideas coupled to solid ground rules and a strict code of conduct. And that's where you come in. Yes you, each and everyone of you. To be fair you have been doing it already. I have made a solid commitment to myself to be dedicated, hard working, stick to a game plan long enough to give it a chance to work but not too long that it might become detrimental if its not working. I'm also making a commitment to you that I'll put the hard yards in, and update you on my progress, even in the darkest of times. What I need in return is your views,opinions and suggestions. Your comments, support and chastisement (though only if I've genuinely earnt it)! I won't necessarily take all your suggestions and use them in my approach to the game but I will reflect on and consider all of them.

One of the off the wall ideas the England team put into practice was Second Half Thinking. Detailed data analysis showed that performance in the second half of matches lacked the intensity of the first half. Sir Clive introduced a half time ritual, which included players changing shirts. At first they kicked against the concept, within a matter of months other Rugby nations were doing the same thing. And it is here that I want your ideas and suggestions. One of the biggest challenges I will face will be the turn mid round when I embark on the back 9. I need to forget all that happened on the front nine and focus on playing another nine holes of great golf. So are there any tips, hints or tricks that you would like to share with me (and the other readers) that you use as you make your way off the ninth green? What is your approach to Second Half Thinking?

If you resisted temptation yesterday but now find you can't wait for the book review you can buy a copy of Winning! by clicking the image below:


Comments

Homer
I can see where you are going with this but trust me this is one more thought in your head that doesn’t need to be there especially first time out on an 18 hole course. By the time you get to the 10th you need to be focussing on what you are doing and making sure you are stickng to the principles of tempo, practice routine and making as solid a swing as possible.

Making sure you keep fluid and sugar levels up will be far more important than worrying about how Woodward would chip an errant tee shot out of the woods.

There is a place for his thinking and ideas and I like some of the stuff you’ve put up about it, but its more of a cornerstone to the next level of your game rather than a foundation stone to your golfing aim

Tiger
Hey Homer, bit confused by your post as you’ve alluded to some of the things I was getting at. Taking a short break, taking fluid and a snack onboard, forgetting about the front nine and focussing on remembering to stick to the basics (tempo, technique, swing). All seem like sound elements of good Second Half Thinking to me.

Homer
I agree but without the conscious need to go “right its the back nine – time to start second half thinking” You don’t need to be thinking about anything other than your game. Leave the Woodward thinking alone and go out and think only about the golf and not how to think or what you should be focussing on. It needs to be a natural thing.If you try and over-think (add in Rotella and Pelz to Woodward) and it’ll become way too much.

Tiger
I’m thinking more of a routine / ritual that I do every time I finish the front nine, very much like a pre shot routine that clears my mind ready for the next nine holes. If I develop that approach now it will be easier to engrain the behaviour for when I’m in a more pressured situation. It could be as simple as having a little break and a drink and going through exactly the same routine as the first hole. In fact bar replenishing energy that’s exactly what it should be, the routine I use on the first hole, though i haven’t got one of those either. What do you guys do once you reach the first tee?

Swinger
There are 18 holes out there, I wouldn’t worry about splitting up the front and back 9’s. Ideally your only thinking about the shot in hand on the 1st green, 10th tee, 14th fairway and 18th green.
If there is any routine I have its checking the scores with my playing partners to make sure we all have everything added up ok. This gives me a chance to asses how everyone is doing but to be honest I’m aware of how the whole 4 ball is getting on all the way round.

Possibly the 10th is a good place to top up fluids or snack but no more so than when you feel slightly empty or a shade thirsty.

On the first tee I find the most important thing is to relax yourself, few deep slow breaths helps, look forward to the round and know your going to enjoy yourself and learn something weather its a good or bad game.

I guess there is no such thing as a good or a bad game really.

Tiger
Hey Swinger and Homer, think you’re both right about second half thinking. It’s more like all round thinking! Definitely need something before I start though. Had a nightmare today as there was a society teeing off and they had taken over the putting green and warm up nets. Far from ideal start! Thanks for your input. There’s more I understand about your perspectives now I’ve played a round. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment