Tuesday 2 February 2010

Harvey Penick's Little Red Golf Book: Book review

Harvey Penick's Little Red Golf Book, Harvey Penick 
(Collins WIllow, 1993)
This book was reviewed recently on the Golf Monthly forum and received mixed opinions. Personally, I think the key to enjoying it is to think of it as the recollections of a renowned teaching professional, rather than a "how to...guide".

The main thing I learnt from this book is that I have to keep my approach to the game simple, logical and enjoyable. Only then will I be able to tackle the many challenges that golf will throw at me. This book reinforces that message many times over, with my favourite analogy comparing a golf swing to swinging a bucket of water. This instantly conjures up a rhythmic fluid motion in my mind and has helped me get back into the zone when it seemed my ball striking had abandoned me.

There are plenty of amusing anecdotes such as the brash individual that wants to learn how to escape bunkers only to be told he must first learn how to avoid landing in them. These are interspersed with Penick's golfing observations and recollections.

However, I did feel that too much of the book was dedicated to Penick's perceptions of other professional golfers, that he had either taught or watched and this seemed a little out of context for me. It was also over much too quickly and I felt there could have been more, so much more.

One poignant note is that despite coaching them at the same time Penick never allowed Tom Kite know what instruction he gave Ben Crenshaw and vice versa. They were different golfers and therefore needed individual advice. One man's meat is another man's poison and over the next five years I'll do well to remember that. While this doesn't come close to being a lesson from the great man himself, it does help you understand the mindset he tried to instill in all of his pupils. Bearing this in mind I will from time to time return to this book when I am getting overly frustrated with technical issues and try to remember to simplify, relax and enjoy.

My rating 73%

To buy the book click on the image below:

ISBN 978-0-00-218538-5

No comments:

Post a Comment