Wednesday 24 February 2010

Mixed bag...(Hintlesham GC, Feb 10)

So the wait is finally over as today I completed my first 18 holes. My slightly controversial approach has raised a few eyebrows and after today's round it might raise a few more. There were a number of positives to be gained from today but also a stark recognition that I need to work extremely hard on my ball striking over the next month. The good thing is I know exactly what the problem is, how to fix it and that once it is sorted my scores will plummet. However, as many people have wisely warned you should play with whatever swing you bring to the course and sort out the issues on the range.





Yes I am keeping you on tenderhooks and rather than tell you the score I'm now going to set the scene. And don't try scanning to the bottom it's not there either, you'll just have to be patient. I use FreeCaddie on my iPhone today and I have to say for a free app it does a great job. Unfortunately for me it has reopened the whole Laser Rangefinder vs GPS debate, but we'll discuss that another time. By checking the yardages against course markers the readings were accurate, unfortunately the iPhone battery just can't handle the settings it needs turned on and the battery died on the 17th fairway.

What I did learn was that when I strike the ball cleanly from tee or fairway I am definitely getting 175 - 180 yards with the 6 iron. The problem is that consistency but as I demonstrated to myself on the 17th hole, two great strikes got me twenty foot from the hole and, though the birdie putt agonisingly refused to drop, the par was richly deserved. Unfortunately my day did not start as well. With a society queuing up to tee off the pro suggested we make our way to the 13th to start our round. I hit a poor tee shot that left me midway between tee and green, and then rescued the situation with a great wedge. Then came the unthinkable, a four putt. I pride myself on my putting but having not gauged the pace of greens on the practice green before the round it all went horribly wrong. It was like Goldilocks and the three putts - the first putt was too hard, the second putt too soft, third putt just right (but somehow didn't drop).

It didn't get any better. My tee shot on the 14th got held up in the wind and found the bunker. I hit a great wedge out but I was flustered and the following chipping nightmare was the way I use to play, all over the show. Then I remembered to put the pencil in my glove on a practice stroke (it is legal I checked). Only had to do it once and the painful reminder kept my chipping solid for the rest of the round. That opening par 3 & 4 took me 15 shots, but all the reading I had been doing about focussing on your next shot, letting the bad ones go etc was working. Rather than getting mad I calmed myself down and played fairly solid golf for the next four holes, which included my solitary par.

So in the end I carded 114. Not a score that will set the world alight but when I reviewed my statistics it made me a lot happier. My game plan is all about improving the short game. I used to play table tennis chipping but on most occasions got any shot from 50 yards in on the green. More practice will get me closer to the hole for more makeable putts but finishing with a total of 37 putts (including that upsetting four) was pleasing and just outside my pre round target of 36. As you'd expect with a 6 iron off the tee I found fairways consistently, though lost distance on more than one occasion when I caught it fat. Finished with a 9/14 FIR but

  • the 3 that missed left were down to my draw taking them just off the short stuff (5-10 yards)

  • the sandy one was slap bang centre of fairway but went further than I expected (little thin and following wind took it best part of 200 yards into a bunker)


I hit one GIR but that was never in the game plan. The game plan was to play a tidy short game and learn about course management and things I need to work on and on that front it was mission accomplished.

So a lot of lessons learned and an hour video lesson on the cards with the pro in the near future. I'll upload my problem swing for you all to look at tomorrow but for now I have mixed emotions and am just itching to get back on the course, decent swing in tow and see how I get on.

3(6), 4(9), 5(7), 4(6), 4(4), 5(7), 4 (6), 4(7), 5(7), 3(5), 4(8), 3(5), 4(7), 4(5), 5(9), 3(5), 4(5), 4(6)

In terms of my four aims for February I only managed to score par on a hole, but come March I see the tide turning.

Comments

Homer
Well done and now you’ve got the first one out of the way it’ll be easier next time. Nothing earth shattering either in terms of disasters or a par fest but fairly consistant all the way round.

Be careful about self diagnosing the swing fault though and maybe let the pro give it the once over. Well done though. When you playing again?

Deke
Well done mate,a solid result for a first timer.I shot a far worse score on my second ever round,even though i broke 100 on my first.I have a strange feeling you will just get better! Am hopefully joining my first club this sunday,and if the weather is ok,i will be playing my third 18 holes.Will let u know how i do,good luck fixing your problem!

Tiger
Hey Homer, yeah nothing spectacular and a few disappointing holes let down by the poor ball striking. I know what to expect now at least so I can be better prepared.

In terms of swing fault it’s only because it’s one he’s raised with me previously about overhinge and left arm. Hoping to have a video lesson on Saturday, the hitting the par 3 Sunday. Playing a 9 hole course at Purdis on the 14/15th March it’s Par 62 so not too many long holes but a better simulation of course conditions. Then one more full 18 ten days later before I become a member in April and start playing weekly.

I think your previous observations about having issues with the long game were spot on but I’m glad I managed to retain focus and play fairly solidly from within 100 yards. I’m sticking with the game plan until at least end of May then I’ll have a review.

Golfmmad
Well done Tiger, great first round score, you’ll soon be breaking the 100 barrier.
Now you have the target of 114, just go and do it.

Rob2
I think you should be proud of yourself. That is a very respectable performance for a first time out. Best of luck for the next round. Just wait until the summer, it gets even more fun to play. You have definately got more will power than most of us, i think 99% of people would have been pounding a driver by now (or rather trying to!). Personally, I think the way you have gone about things is a good idea, just not sure I would have the discipline to stick with it!! Best of luck,

Tiger
Hi Deke, Golfmmad & Rob

Thanks for your positive comments. Deke I envy you joining a club, I need to wait until April unfortunately but chomping at the bit. The course I’m joining is harder than the one I played today, but I’m hoping that will help my development. That said I do hope that my scores gradually improve ;0).

As far as will power goes I’ve got two brothers who both hit their drivers nearing the 300 yard mark and both spend far too much time searching for their balls in the long stuff. We’re all very competitive so I need to stick to the game plan as it will help me get an advantage in the short game. Besides my iron striking was dodgy enough from the fairway today without having to hit more shots from the rough.

I’ve heard a rumour that spring/summer fairways are more forgiving. I hope so ;0)

Alec
Been reading on the forum and there is nothing to be ashamed with on that round mate, especially without a driver or wood. Many of us often score that in a round so well done. looking forward to reading the next phase.

NowtFancy
wot no double figures?!

Tiger
Only by the skin of my teeth!!!! Came too close for comfort on two occassions but luckily the short game rode to my rescue . Here’s hoping I can keep it that way.

Benj Russell
Well Done Tiger (114) is a good score considering it`s your first time,if your willing to put in the effort the results will come,

No comments:

Post a Comment