Thursday 11 February 2010

SKLZ Power Sleeve: Equipment review



This will be my last equipment review for a while for two reasons:

1.   I am saving for a Laser Rangefinder and have my golf membership to pay soon
2.   I honestly believe I now have the right balance of training aids to support my development over the next six months

    In my opinion the SKLZ Power Sleeve serves four main purposes:
    • great for warm up
    • boosting power
    • improving tempo
    • keeping you on your swing plane

    To use the sleeve you simply attach it to any club shaft just above the hosel and swing. In terms of warm up I do some gentle baseball types swings, gradually dialling up the speed. Then start with some half golf swings building up to a few full golf swings. I then do a few dynamic stretches (more on that in a bit) before hitting five balls with it going through a full pre shot routine with each.

    I've been involved in sport for a while, have a sport related MSc from Loughborough and have done some research into warm up techniques. As a result I try to carry out dynamic warm ups. This involves gently warming up the muscles by carrying out actions that mimic they types of movements you will use when you play. For an example of a dynamic warm routine click here.

    In terms of physiology, building muscles for golf is difficult in a gym unless you have specific apparatus. In fact in my opinion the reason pros hit it further is not just technique but also repetition that has built specific golf muscles over time. Obviously swinging a weighted club can help speed up this process. It is improtant to remember that you've got to be careful not to overdo it as you could pull a muscle with overuse.

    However, the main benefit for me was slowing down my tempo (particularly on the back swing) and stopping me standing up at impact. As a result the few warm up shots I hit got me grooved into the right swing plane. Though you can hit balls with the Power Sleeve you must remember that this will have an adverse affect on ball flight because of the extra weight on the shaft. When you hit balls with it what you are looking for is direction not height.

    The only slight criticism I have is that the velcro does have a tendency to loosen a little causing it to slip slightly out of position. That said, this may be owe more to my swing speed than the training aid, and actually serves as a visual reminder not to overdo it. When it slips a little I take it off.

    I am mulling over investing in a decent practice mat and net so I can practice in the garden and 5-10 minutes daily with the Power Sleeve would have even more positive benefits to my game. I've already had two members approach me at the driving range to ask about it and where I got it from. Time will tell what kind of impact it will have on my game but so far the signs are promising.

    My rating 86%

    To buy the SKLZ Power Sleeve click on the image below:










    Comments:

    Graham
    I would like to wish Tiger every success in his endevour. I appreciate that Tiger has also been very honest regarding the training aids that he has purchased from http://www.improvemygolf.co.uk and the reviews that he has given them. It’s good to see other golfers review these products and give their opinion. All the best, and if there’s anything else I can help with, you know where I am.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment