Thursday 4 February 2010

Alignment Sticks: Equipment review

It's been well documented. I've been having issues with my chipping, the odd pitch shot here and there and my alignment. I tried using the alignment option on the V-Easy but my big, clumsy, yeti sized feet kept kicking the blinking thing out of position. Also, you can't use the V-Easy to align your shots, when you're already using it to practice your chipping.

What has been less documented is that I can be a real geek. As a result I haven't just kept every golf magazine I've bought since August. Oh no, that would be too normal. Instead I have systematically dissected them and filed the hints and tips based on which area of my game they should improve.

By now you are probably wondering where this is going. Well I'll tell you, alignment sticks. Two long. lightweight, durable, and unbelievably versatile, fibreglass sticks that are playing a crucial part in helping me take control of my golf development. These sticks were an inspired purchase, here's why.

Having issues with your short game alignment and strike? Set up a pitching station (see this months Today's Golfer). Two alignment sticks running parallel form a channel pointing in the direction you wish the ball to go. A third runs perpendicular from the centre point enabling you to consistently place your feet. The result consistent ball position, excellent dispersion pattern and some truly beautiful £10 note shaped divots.

Leaving the ball short when you putt? Place an alignment stick horizontally before the hole and get the ball to pop over it and into the hole.

Issues returning the club face square? Place a stick in front of the ball in the direction of travel and think about needing to hit the stick forward when you impact the ball.

Challenges with dispersion set up a gate to aim through.

Problems with developing a low takeaway? Jab them in the ground at slight angles both in front and behind the ball, giving a visual cue to keep the club head low. I could go on I've got shedloads of drills taken from magazines and at least 25% use alignment sticks. When I'm not using mine as a pitching station I may well stick them in the ground and use them as target pins.

A cheap must have addition to your golf bag.

My rating: 86%

To buy a pair of alignment sticks click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment