Tuesday 9 February 2010

Method in my madness or madness in my method?

It seemed an innocent question at the time but it sparked an interesting debate. I've learnt a great deal from the responses to my 'Pitching distance' post on the Golf Monthly forum. I'm quite open to comment and constructive criticism, which I think will serve me well on this challenge. I certainly received a lot of sound advice that suggested I was over complicating things. Let me explain.

I'm using a simplified version of the Pelz approach to the short game. This is a technical approach whereby you learn repeatable shortened swings (7.30, 9.00 & 10.30 positions of the hour hand on a clock face). You then learn how far each of your wedges travels with each of those swings.

The resulting debate was that as a beginner I was overcomplicating my short game, which could lead to indecisiveness on the course and an inability to perform the necessary stroke when called upon. Keep it simple was the advice and I respect that opinion.

I am going against the grain a little. Most novices work almost exclusively on the full swing and their driver. The theory being if I can whack it 250+ yards accurately I'm onto a winner. I don't believe in this approach. I've read nothing since I've started playing that will change my mind.

One poster Swinger commented that to achieve scratch in five years would take a radical approach, and that's exactly what I'm proposing. Followers of the blog will know that there is an absence of woods or hybrids in my bag. To me they belong in the same swing family due to their longer shafts. To keep things simple I am not learning the 'wood family' till the end of the summer/early autumn.

Instead I am taking lessons to improve my set up & swing with my irons. These clubs will provide me with accuracy off the tee at the expense of yards. My aim off the tee is keep the ball in play. I can hit my 6 iron about 175-180 yards. To start that will be my club of choice on most, if not all tees. Long par threes maybe the one exception to this rule.

Once in play the aim is to set up either a PW or 7 iron approach depending on hazards and hole length. In the long term I will be looking to hit the 7 iron but with the luxury of three shots to the green of a par 4 I'll be looking to build accuracy and confidence with the PW where possible.

The result of this approach to the game, where bogey becomes the new par, is the pressure it places on the short game. I believe that by removing the woods from my game I have capacity to focus more on my pitching and chipping.

Swinger joked that in two years I could be a better wedge player than him. That is the general aspiration to become a skilled confident wedge player who can more than hold his own from 120 yards in.

Which brings us back to Pelz. I had originally intended to follow his approach to the letter. However, based on comments I have simplified it a little.

1. I will only play a sand wedge from the rough and bunker till I can control the bounce and not thin every other shot
2. I am only learning the half and quarter swings
3. I'm not investing in a lob wedge yet
4. Half swing always takes preference

Some will still say that I need to learn feel not clock numbers. But I know how my mind works and for me this is the best way to learn feel. Only time will tell if this is the right approach but the fact it's caused some discussion means I've got one thing right. It's radical.

Swinger
It was no joke Tiger! Seriously think you could be a better wedge player than me in a couple of years. Not that mine is too shabby either! We’ll have to go out for a few holes one day.
Nice to get a mention on the blog.
Keep up the good work mate.

Tiger
Playing a few holes sounds grand to me, though seeing as you play off 5 I’m still not convinced by this better wedge player malarkey ;0) I am making steady progress though. Distances for the GW are sorted for 7.30 (47 yards) and 9.00 (69 yards) swings. Spending the rest of this week and all of next tightening this up and then moving onto the PW. Thanks for the support, much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment