Saturday 20 February 2010

Backward progress

Apologies for the big delay between posts. Work was more than tad manic but the weekend is here and judging by the weather so is Spring. Some have questioned the logic of learning the game backwards, and one in particular has repeatedly told me that if that's what I want to do get a chipping lesson. You see me to chipping, is like Homer Simpson to beer - duff all day long. Actually, I should rephrase that to say was.

I had my lesson this afternoon and played a couple of rounds on the 9 hole before hand. I scored 42 & 40, putting was ace once again 12 & 14. Damage was done getting the ball onto the blinking green. Case in point first hole of the day I carded a seven. That wouldn't have been so disheartening if I'd three putted. One putt, one blinking putt was all it took. From the tee box came up short then proceeded to pitch / chip the ball back and forth across the green for six shots. Then step up and hole a eight foot putt!! I'm Alesha Dixon on the dancefloor and John Sargeant off it.

Anyway had my chipping lesson, he tweaks a couple of things on follow through and has a chat about club selection. I go back onto the course and hit a 35, my lowest ever score. The chipping made such a big difference. I'm hoping to get some more range time before Wednesday to hit a few more mid irons but I'm very happy with how the short game is shaping up.

Comments

Deke
Glad your short game is getting beter Tiger,my advice now is to work on your pitching.On your par 3 course you can pitch off the tee,and a good strike will give you birdie chances.On my last round my chipping was just ok,but my pitching and putting were spot on,and i shot two under.If you can master all three abilities,you will be a short game machine,and will eat up the par three!

Tiger
Hey Deke, Couldn’t agree with you more. My par three is a great test of target golf but whilst my strike is much better on short pitches the yardages are wholly inaccurate on the course. The reason I say this is that on one hole allegedly measuring 83 yards I hit my GW with a half swing which I know travels approximately 69 yards. It was a clean strike with equal follow through and I cleared the green by 20 yards! It did look short but not that short!! When I play on Wednesday I’m using Freecaddie on the iPhone for some ball park figures and it will be interesting to note the difference. Shots are going straight it’s just distance that’s all wrong at the mo. That said I’ll need to be having an absolute blinder to get anywhere near a 25!!!

Deke
I am sure your next score on the par 3 will be your lowest,and it will get lower as you practice more.My bunker play has been good recently,and as my fear of sand is not what it once was i have been trying out flop shots which i am sure you know are some of the harder techniques to master.Stone me if my first atempt with the face wide open(usually a big bugbear with me)sails over the bunker to two feet of the hole and stop dead!Happy days!Having a few different shots in my short game arsenal will be of much use when i finally suss out my long clubs,i am going to the range today,will let you know how i get on,cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment