Wednesday 17 August 2011

It's all in my head

Listened to Bob Rotella's Your 15th Club audio book today. Hearing Dr Bob narrate the text confirmed that my head is holding me back. I am getting in my own way with a negative subconscious self image. The rebuilding work began today.

During my practice session I was once again hitting the ball as well as ever. The metronome was ticking away in my back pocket and the fade had returned. Reg (former Club Captain) was over the Heath hitting balls as well. He has seen me from the time I first started playing. One look at my swing and he reaffirmed my beliefs. Nothing wrong with your swing Tiger, it's all in your head.

We talked about the trouble I have on our opening six holes and my course management approach. We discussed an alternative strategy one that I'll brokering intoplsy this weekend. I feel calm and at ease about my golf. I feel confident that when I pick out a target in the distance I have the skills to stroke the ball there. My golfing ability has been developed for some time now. I need to relieve the tension, slow down my swing and trust it implicity. Saturday's bogey competition couldn't have occurred at a more opportune time.

So while I'm out on the course visualising every single shot you might want to imagine a crazy stunt shot for the guys at the European Tour. They are currently running a competition to create the next edition of Every Shot Imaginable on twitter. All you need to do is tweet a suitably wacky idea using the hashtag #MyESI. If your idea is chosen you get to take part alongside the pro golfers. I've posted a couple on here before (Gunpowder Shot and Clay Pigeon Shot) but here for your viewing pleasure is the original gong shot...

2 comments:

  1. Just started reading Putting Out of Your Mind by Dr Bob. And got a new putter too - A ping Answer 2i (off ebay for £13!) - just about to add a new grip myself too (although not a Tigershark one) Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't work today but that was more due to me reading breaks that weren't there and vice versa. Good luck with your new putter. Putting Out of Your Mind is a great book.

    ReplyDelete