Friday 5 August 2011

Anticipation...

The bag is packed, ready and waiting. New balls have been marked and dropped into the ball bit. The lob wedge has been removed and replaced with the boom stick. Excited? Yes. Nervous? A little.

The good thing is I now have a routine for preparing for a round, which has helped the last couple of times I have played, so I know exactly what I need to do when I get to the club. So the bag may have changed but that will remain consistent.

Then it all really comes down to the four firsts as they generally set the tempo for my round. Numero uno my opening tee shot, need a good solid connection. If I miss left or right I am generally ok and if it is pin high it puts me in a good frame of mind. Next, my first chip. Often this is from the left side of the first hole and can be anything from a bump n run to a floaty one. So long as it lands (and stays) on the short stuff it's all gravy. The third is the first putt, usually from twenty foot and it's all about pace, get that right and I am usually buzzing. Quite often these three firsts contribute to a bogey 4 start and I'm usually chuffed with that.

The final first is actually always my second shot on the 2nd hole. It's not an approach but is usually an iron shot and not from the tee and a good solid connection will often play a part in a good score on hole two, a solid start and positive anticipation of what the rest of the round has in store. Big hopes for tomorrow, but number one objective: enjoy it. It is my birthday weekend after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment