Monday 4 April 2011

Poll result

So the results are in, they have been counted and verified and I can now confirm that the readers of this blog have somewhat tempered their views on my degree of progress. The poll finished before the first medal of the year and based on that, as well as my shoddy front nine performance you were right on the money. The consensus was cautious with the slightly more optimistic bunch thinking I'd reach 24-25 (55%).

I have erred away from setting any sort of target this year or making any prediction. I just want to play the best golf I can and have a lot of fun at the same time. Whatever my final number is at the end of the season it will more than likely be merited. There are a few significant differences from this year to last year though. Twelve months ago I had only just started playing on a proper golf course and it was a real eye opener.
I really struggled with bunkers early on
  • sucker pins
  • long par 5's
  • tight par 4's
  • tough par 3's
  • bunkers
  • wind
  • managing the course
  • chipping to raised greens
  • putting up and down tiers
  • the concentration required for 18 holes, and
  • taking your medicine rather than playing the hero shot
And that is to name but a few. Playing off the yellows was daunting enough but the whites were something else. They scared the hell out of me, especially on the following holes:
  • the opening hole a par 3 went up to 216 yards
  • the 6th went up to 185 yards
  • the 16th and 17th both lengthened with more challenging tee shots
  • 18th up to 190 yards
Now, I've played so many times off the whites that this is the normal course for me. Playing off the yellows almost feels like cheating. It's a different mindset, I'm more confident and most importantly I am a better more consistent golfer now. What will happen between now and August? Who knows, but hopefully there will be more cuts and few 0.1s.

No comments:

Post a Comment