Thursday 7 April 2011

The Masters

Will this image be reversed come Sunday?
It has finally arrived. The anticipation is over and now the season opening Major is upon us. I've opted not to have a flutter this year although I'll kick myself if Watney or Kim wins it! Personally I think the big story this year is going to be the return of Tiger Woods. Come Sunday I think he will be in contention and hungry as ever. His game might not be at the same level as it once was but it's arguably in better shape than it was last year when he stunned us all finishing 4th.

I'll be honest, like many I have been disappointed with Tiger, not because off his off course indiscretions but his on course behaviour. But the way he has been talking recently suggests that he is starting to regain his self belief and, possibly more importantly, returning to the core lessons his father taught him. He has also admitted that he has neglected his putting and is starting to inject more effort on that part of his game. From what I remember of prime Tiger was seeing him drop putts from everywhere and if his putter is hot he'll be a tough man to beat at Augusta. In the past six years he hasn't finished outside the top six. I firmly believe he'll make it seven years in 2011.

That said I think his biggest threat will come from American players. Phil Mickelson was breathtaking last week as he destroyed the field to win the Houston Masters and after last years stunning third round I think he'll be hungry for another Masters triumph, Major victory and a return to the World Rankings top five.

Will Bubba add a green jacket to his wardrobe this weekend?
Challenging those two I think will be two young Yanks in the form of Anthony Kim who had a phenomenal Sunday charge last year and was in good nick at Houston and Nick Watney who must have learnt a lot from his nightmare final round at the USPGA last year. Watney also had a great round on Sunday last year and in what looks like gearing up to be an all American affair I think they will be the main four to watch. That said I'll be rooting for Bubba Watson (my favourite American player) and young Ryo Ishikawa an inspirational young man.

However, as a patriot I hold out hope for Westwood, Poulter and McDowell as the most likely British contenders with Harrington flying the flag for Ireland and Karlsson and Kaymer for the rest of Europe. The real shame though is the loss of Thursday and Friday coverage to Sky, thank god for Freesat +. I'll be watching on Friday night with my family, whetting our golf appetite before hitting the course on Saturday morning. Good luck to the Europeans but if it has to be Yank, please lord let it be Watney or Bubba Watson. Hi 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment