Saturday 2 April 2011

Paper cut

What a way to start the season. I played the front nine pretty much as I had played all last season and then woke from my stupor at the half way stage. Apart from a ropey tee shot on the 1st, my fault for not warming up, the biggest problem was my fringe chipping and putting. Tee to green was probably the best I have ever played and had my short game touch been there I could easily have broken 90 today. That said 97 was my best ever score off the whites, in fact the first time I have broken 100 off the back tees.

54 strokes and +18 at the turn I resolved to score no more than 5 per hole for the back nine, and but for an unlucky bounce on 16 I may well have achieved it. The putting malaise that wrecked my front nine vanished on the 12th green as one finally dropped and my confidence returned. Nightmare moments came on the 5th when a routine 9 iron went out of bounds and the next shot went horribly left and the 11th when I hit a lovely lob wedge to four foot and then three putted.

The plus points were some cracking drives, some solid iron shots and, despite some rotten luck, some good scoring coming back. So it won't be the handicap amputation I was hoping for, but this little paper cut shows that I am heading in the right direction. I played every shot on merit and didn't allow misfortune and missed putts to affect my mood. After amassing just 8 points through the first six holes I racked up 31 on the next 12. A beautiful day and things are heading in the right direction. With the adjustment for that score on 5 I am looking at a nett 68 against SSS of 70. Depending on the CSS movement I may be in line for a small cut, possibly even moving of 28. Either way I am a happy bunny, just need to decide whether my putting needs a band aid of practice or a lesson with the pro.
97 (71)
5(3), 8(5), 5(3), 5(4), 10(5), 5(3), 6(5), 5(4), 5(4), 4(4), 5(3), 5(5), 5(4), 5(4), 5(4), 6(4), 4(4), 4(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment