Monday 18 April 2011

Like father...

No golf this weekend as my better half was at a training course. However, that blow was immeasurably softened by a quite superb bit of quality father and son time. Over the past few months my son has expressed a desire to come with me when I head off to play 'golf balls'. This weekend cemented the necessity to help him take his second steps into the sport. He has already got a set of plastic clubs but recent events have demonstrated a heightened sense of interest. During the Masters, which he dutifully watched with his old man, he insisted on posing for a picture with his plastic driver. That is the first time he has actually requested his picture being taken and actually posed for it.

One week later and he is genuinely excited to see people playing golf on our way into town. The next day after a kickabout we wander down to the edge of Rushmere Golf Club to see if we can see anyone playing. Unfortunately, there is no-one about so when we get home I put my recorded Masters coverage on. After five minutes his up looking for something. Wielding his plastic club he asks me to get him his golf ball. The yellow airflow ones are no longer sufficient he wants white ones like daddy. Luckily I've got a couple of plastic ones and next comes the demand for a hole to hit the ball into.

I use a bit of blu tack and fix a stacking cup on it's side at the end of his play may and he sets to work putting, left handed with the back of the driver. He decides that actually this is too challenging so he opens up his toy box and out comes the largest stacking cup which will offer a bigger hole for him to putt into. That keeps him happy for half an hour till he decides he wants a cuddle and a nap.

So I'm resolved to fuel his passion with a little putter and wedge and to take him down to the club next Sunday and onto the chipping green. It may be putting a dent into my driver fund but boy is it worth it! Admittedly, he's not quite perfect. He made me turn off the Chinese Grand Prix so he could watch Disney's Cars. But here's hoping he loves the game as much as me, it would be great to have golf as a lifetime bond between father and son.

No comments:

Post a Comment