Sunday 3 April 2011

No complacency

Yesterday was positive but I have no intention of resting on my laurels. I left a LOT of shots out there and although it is inevitable that golfers will always bemoan mistakes, my aim is to reduce the number of incidents. After the putting and chipping horror show that was the front nine I ventured back up to the club this morning to do some more work on my short game.

One thing that it reinforced is that putting mats are actually not as helpful as you would hope. They roll truer and faster and have no slope. They also lack that satisfying sound as the ball hits the bottom of the cup. 30 minutes practice today highlighted how important it is to spend much more quality time on the greens. Just focussed on short putts today but will work on distance judgement on Thursday evening.

My chipping is coming on leaps and bounds, especially with the more lofted clubs. Bizarrely, I find it easier to get it close with a lob or sand wedge than a bump and run with an 8 iron. I guess I am better at visualising how those shots will behave but throw an elevated green into the mix and all of a sudden I am clueless with the 8 and 9 iron! Generally, I run it too far past but it is getting better. The outgoing Club Captain came over to see how I got on yesterday and I think he was impressed with how much my chipping has improved.

Off to enjoy the sunshine with the family now, tomorrow I'll do some work on my pitching! Battle of the Brothers next week, need my game to be razor sharp. Hope you've had a good golfing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment