Friday 22 April 2011

Gary Smith to the rescue?

As I mentioned yesterday I'm not getting on with bunkers. So I downloaded the Gary Smith Golf Monthly App in the hope that it would make a big difference. Not had a chance to try out his suggestions in a sand trap but seeing his linear approach to bunker play makes a lot of sense.

You see Gary has ridden to my rescue before with my chipping. It was his advice that saw me move the ball into the middle of my stance and set myself up square rather than open. Admittedly the X Factor tip was the icing on the cake but he got me moving in the right direction. From what I have seen so far I think his bunker tips will be even more effective. He certainly is enthusiastic about his work!

Obviously I cannot review this app util I've tried it's suggestions in practice and on the course but importantly I do feel more confident about my ability to tackle those pesky sandtraps. Time will tell and a few review will follow. Watch this space...

3 comments:

  1. I'm using the linear method for chipping now and it is finally curing all my chipping woes. I've got 2 DVD's direct from him too which are hints and tips for all the short game including bunkers. I've started using the linear out of sand too and so far so good. Personally I'd stick with it for all your chipping. I actually set up a little closed as it promotes a more rounded swing and makes me turn (using the bosy as the engine as he describes it) better especially on the fiddly short ones. Check out my blog this week as I'll be doing an update

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that your chipping is improving. No plans to witch to linear method for chipping for me. The bunker stuff seems very sound but my chipping is really good at the moment. Admittedly our slow greens help, but three up and downs over nine holes the last two times I've played tells it's own story! Just need to get used to this new grip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary Smith DVD is a total rip off. Basically a homemade job done with imovie full of repetetive stuff including 38 second intro msic and graphics for each short clip. Linear method is nothing new either and many people would argue it actually promotes flipping the club at impact.

    ReplyDelete