Sunday 10 April 2011

Lesson in matchplay

Battle of the Bredren yesterday finished in defeat. With myeldest brother and nephew limping round the course it effectible came down to a straight head to head between me and my older brother. It was my first time playing matchplay yesterday and my frustrating habit of starting slow hit me hard. 5 down after 9 and still 5 down with 6 to play. Once I got going my bro just matched my decent holes and as we drew nearer the end I felt more pressure and despite winning 13, 14 and halving 15 I cracked on 16 and it was all over.

I was definitely less relaxed than normal and in the interests of future medals and matchplay I must work on the front 9. Midweek 9 holes are calling! That said the banter was first class and a really enjoyable weekend with some Masters golf viewing thrown in for good measure. The higlights were some belting drives with the 3 wood. Losing the longest drive in your fourball isn't normally a plus point but when it's by a yard against a Driver and you measure it at 258 yards it does make you smile. I just have to start capitalising on those tee shots. I dud win nearest the pin though and given the distractions a solid if unspectacular performance.

Good fun had by all, an important lesson in matchplay and a spectacular effort by the greenkeepers to get the course in good nick. Fairways still worn in places and greens slow but a big step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment