Monday 1 November 2010

October stats

Limited golf this month due to my excursion to God's Own Country, but I've made some positive progress in terms of how I think on the golf course. A couple of experiments and thinking more about Stableford scores has helped me lift some of the pressure on my tee shots. Though I hit fewer FIR than I have in the past, a lot of my misses were in the first cut of rough. I think I have made positive progress off the tee I now need to translate that into solid approach shots, then maybe, just maybe I'll be cooking on gas. My clubs are currently being regripped and I've noticed that my grip is a little too firm and strong. That seems to be the principle cause of the shots I am losing left. Hopefully, after a little adjustment that will improve.

I've got my November medal next week, then a highly competitive game against big bro followed by my first Honours Board competition: the 1922 Stableford Cup. Despite one uber optimist estimating a score above handicap (many thanks for the vote of confidence, enjoy a cyber pint on me) the majority feel that a sub 30 score is more likely. Voting will stay open until the Friday before so keep your guesses coming.

So practice last month. Losing a third of the month on holiday was not ideal, but I did squeeze in a lesson and just over 7 hours practice. Very little time spent putting as I've focussed on bedding in the swing changes from my lesson. Funnily enough my putting stats have improved but they could have been so much better if it wasn't for some poor lapses in concentration. As I have no clubs this week there will be much time spent in our slightly chilly garage practicing with the short stick.

Practice


Distance


Time (minutes)


% of practice time


Driver


0


0%


Other Woods


20


5%


200 - 250 yards


25


6%


150 – 200 yards


15


3%


100 – 150 yards


220


51%


Short Approach


115


27%


Bunker Play


15


3%


Putting


20


20%


Total


430


100%


Rounds
A rather startling birdie conversion statistic, perhaps made more possible by the fact I hit fewer GIR. Though I didn't get many scrambles I was chipping close enough to make two putts a formality and I think that has removed a few unwanted 3 putts from my stats. As I mentioned above where I am missing many fairways I'm in the first cut of rough so I actually think that statistic belies the improvements I have made. That said both FIR and GIR have been adversely affected by some stupid penalties I have incurred. That first game back from Scotland being particularly woeful.


Statistic


Performance


SS2 Handicap level


Fairways in Regulation


25% (37%)


24 (18)


Greens in Regulation


12% (16%)


19 (16)


Putts per Round


34.88 (36.41)


 17 (21)


Birdie Conversion


25% (7%)


 Scratch (26)


Par Scrambles


0% (5%)


28+ (28+)


Sand Saves


0%


28+


Penalties per Round


6.19 (2.66)


28+ (28+)


The SS2 handicap level is a calculation made indicating your performance on different facets of your game.

The next six weeks will see me play a lot of golf off the Whites, which can only be good for my improvement. Medal next week, Stableford Cup on the 21st, Medal first week of December and the first leg of the Winter League the week after. Here's hoping it is the prelude to a very Merry Xmas.