Friday 19 November 2010

It's only the range but...

Went to Ufford Park driving range last night. It's a really nice driving range with a number of flags and greens at distances starting at 50 yards going up to 180 yards. At night time the targets are lit and there are 2 markers at 200 yards depicting a fairway sized target area for drives.

I've started to get a better understanding of my swing over the past few weeks. Following some excellent pointers in the latest edition of Golf Monthly and my latest series of lessons I have been trying to engrain a few specific changes. Tonight I got to fully enjoy the fruits of my labour.

I have never struck the ball so well. I felt really relaxed and was hitting my 8 iron, 6 iron, 4 iron and hybrid so sweetly. I was pulling my 3 wood a little bit left but the nasty slice that has plagued my game for so long had vanished, well at least until I pulled out my 3 iron. However, after a few dodgy hits that was producing a nice ball flight albeit a little left of target.

Now the caveat is it was the range, I didn't have a card in my hand, I didn't have to chip or putt or deal with didgy lies, overhanging branches etc. That said I am much more confident in my ball striking and can just relax and hit it on Sunday. I have never felt like that before. I have a lesson booked with my pro on Saturday morning and will leave the full swing alone as I don't want to tinker just yet. Think I'll focus on scrambling with him instead.

I am so happy at the moment as it's been such a long hard slog and I feel that finally I am starting to understand this game. Yes the game will probably come back to bite me on the arse. Yes it will be a completely different experience when I tee it up on Sunday. Yes my swing will probably disappear as soon as it has appeared. But for now I am a very happy bunny.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent, I am relieved for you :)

    I had a similar experience this week. Changed my grip from locking to 10 finger on Wednesday, went to range wed night, after a few balls I was hitting nice sweet shots, my slice (reason for changing grips) was nowhere to be seen. I then took my new grip onto the course this morning. Pressured by a bunch of rowdy looking pensioners I played a spectacular worm burner off the tee with the daemon (3-wood(driver being the actual devil which is locked away in the boot of my car lol)). I then continued to hit slices, scuffs, fats all the way to the hole lifting more turf than an entire series of 'Ground Force', finally sinking the ball (third ball LOL) on the TENTH shot (par 4).

    After the first hole I decided to revert back to my old locking grip which proved disastrous as I had become accustomed to unlocked grip.

    I went round 9 holes in the high 50s maybe even 60's I think but stopped counting after the 4th hole.

    After a gruelling slog to the end of the 9th I decided to hit the range as opposed to going round the course again. Using my new unlocked grip I hit most balls perfectly, my old slice has been eradicated, no sign of the topps and fats that I was hitting on the first hole. I just hope I can keep it together, new grip and all for tomorrows round....yikes!

    Looking forward to your post-game analysis come Sunday....98 is my guess :)

    Cheers
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a lesson tomorrow. Not playing much golf because of travelling to London every weekend to look after my mum (had her first chemo today) but want to keep the swing going and use the time to work on my faults. I figure it's easier with everything going on to still find a couple of hours per week to practice the drills I'll get rather than worrying about chopping it around a wet course.

    I hope you can take the range mentality with you on Sunday. Stick with it and I can see a good score coming soon. You certainly deserve it for the patience and effort put in so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jim

    I know exactly what you mean about thinking you've cracked it only for it to go wrong. I've had far too many false dawns! Here's hoping you had a good round today and thanks for your vote of confidence for tomorrow. I'd be very pleased with a 98.

    Martin thanks for the ongoing support and encouragement. Sorry to hear about your mum I hope the chemotherapy doesn't hit her too hard. Just trying to score points on every hole on Sunday and if I do that I'll be pleased with my performance.

    ReplyDelete