Wednesday 3 November 2010

Long and short of it

No opportunity to hit the range this week so bar a couple of forays to the Heath my main practice this week will take place on Saturday morning. Bit of a dilemma on what to prioritise ahead of Sunday's medal. Accuracy off the tee or around the greens? Decided to spend some time on the short game as opportunities are scarce now because of the early onset of darkness.

Plan of action is to hit a few wedges and regauge my distances and then spend some time chipping from a variety of lies. Along with my new mindset is an aspiration to operform well against a new, slightly unusual statistic: MIR.

A Miss In Regulation requires a shot that misses the green to finish within 30 yards of the dancefloor. From this position I should get the ball in the hole within three shots, essentially bogey golf. As a result my practice on Saturday will be to recreate a wide variety of these MIR situations and attempt to get up and down from those positions. Where I fail to do this I should have a tap in / gimme for what would be a theoretical bogey.

I feel more confident in my game than I have before any previous medal but there is also a refreshing lack of expectation. I'm just looking to go out, enjoy my round and hope to score well. Exciting times...