Tuesday 9 November 2010

Dambuilder

"Right chaps, goggles on and chocks away!"

As an historian I always find this time of year rather poignant. Appreciation of the bravery, courage and sacrifice of two generations from two world conflicts and a sense of tremendous admiration and sadness for the soldiers who continue to protect this country and the families bearing the terrible burden of bereavement.

It is therefore with a degree of embarrassment I confess that until I studied A level, I honestly thought the phrase was 'Chocs away' and had something to do with rationing and the benevolence of members of the RAF.

November 11th has an uncanny knack of placing things in perspective. On reflection my rather moribund and sombre Sunday mood was significantly disproportionate to the round of golf that had caused it. I felt rather chastened by that realisation and my mind turned to the Ruhr Valley mission of 617 squadron. I suppose at present a poor golf shot is having the same impact on me as an accurately placed Barnes Wallis bomb. The result is a deluge of emotion and swing thoughts that leads into a negative spiral from which there is no recovery.

I must try harder to use the swing I have brought on the day and remember in the grand scheme of things it is really just a game.

My thoughts, gratitude and admiration to the courageous few that continue to protect us and the families that support them.

No comments:

Post a Comment