Tuesday 13 April 2010

Wind in the Willows

Played today and really interesting findings. Ball striking off the tee significantly improved, from the fairway getting better, around the green - lots more work required. I hit 5/13 fairways but missed two in bunkers due to wind and two in the light rough to the left. The bunkers came into play as I was hitting the 4 & 5 iron off the tee, and catching them sweetly, when I used to hit a 6I.

The biggest challenge for me is my approach shots and chipping. Got myself in some great positions today but the scoring shots let me down. Putting solid as always with just 34 putts today but scored 113. Seems strange that in some ways my ball striking is the best it's ever been, only two duffed shots. However, shot direction and wind caused havoc to my attempts to hit the green. Then my chipping deserted me and I just could not score. Positives are some wonderfully struck 4 & 5 Irons and the pitting. Just need to spend more practice time with the wedges and short irons. All in all pleased with my progress though it's not registering on the scorecard just yet.

Comments:

Homer
Might well be that your irons are flying high and being buffeted by the winds which is why a fairway wood will be a good investment. Once you are swinging properly you can learn how to hit a low 3/4 punch etc. For the time being follow Nicklaus’s advice and let the wind be your friend. If its left to right aim down the left and let it drift. If you hit it straight and the wind dies you’ll still be left side of the fairway/green. Don’t try and fight it

Tiger
I’m all with you on using the wind but a couple of times on par 3’s I would have had to aim at gorse or out of bounds in order to finish on the green. However that said I failed to get up and down which should have been straightforward for two pars instead I got bogey & double bogey. Watched the GM DVD last night and think I know where I’m going wrong with my chipping. Hopefully things will improve on that front and just two weeks till the fairway purchase. Only thing is I’ve then got to learn how to use the blinking thing

No comments:

Post a Comment