Wednesday 21 April 2010

So much choice and what to do...

So I took my first step towards buying my fairway wood yesterday by popping into Nevada Bobs on my home. Originally, I had planned on testing the MD Superstrong, Mizuno MX700, Ping G15 and Nike Machspeed. Though I'd speak to the club fitting guy and get his thoughts. He suggested the Callaway Diablo, Cobra S2, Taylormade Burner Superfast and Ping G15.

Now I'm savvy enough to know he is going to try and sell me this year's models but his assertion was that as the more established club makers they have more research into forgiveness and this is related in their club design. Thing is from what I've read, with the exception of the Ping none of the others got a look in with square headed Nike and the Mizuno taking the plaudits on forgiveness.

The next thing is how do I choose given the fact that my swing is still a work in progress. Obviously as I get better my ball flight will straighten out but what should I be looking for if the majority of my shots on all the clubs I try go right? Is there any criteria that can help me decipher which of my 'exaggerated fades' (sounds better than nasty slice doesn't it) were better, and consequently which club I should buy.

Personally, I'm in the buy a second hand/the cheapest one camp, if that's the case.

This is going to be an interesting week...

Comments:

Homer
Personally I think he’s giving you a bum steer. MD, Benross etc are by far cheaper than Cally and Ping etc but its primarily because their promotional budgets are significantly less. If you look at TG magazine as well as GM MD in particular always do well in user tests.

I’d stay well of square headed fairway woods and if possible avoid the temptation to buy a closed or draw bias club as it will only mask any swing flaws.

The point is a budget club like an MD or Benross is not inferior in terms of forgiveness and in fact may well be more so that some of the bigger money names. If you are in doubt stick it out onto the forum and I’m confident you’ll get the same response

Tiger
Was kind of the impression I got, the “let’s steer the novice to the most expensive clubs” approach! Feeling more than a little disillusioned, where has customer service gone. Anyway after a bit of reading around, including a couple of old threads on the GM site, I’ve decided on my testing list. Don’t want to try more than four as I’d rather hit more balls with fewer clubs and if none of them suit try again another day. Based on all the info I can gather I’ll be having a whirl with:

Cobra S2 (new kid on the block)
Ping G15 (the people’s choice)
MD Superstrong (best of the budget crew)
Mizuno MX-700 (last year’s award winner)

Going after work Friday and I’ll let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment