Tuesday 27 April 2010

Reality bites

It was easy in the winter. The missus thought it was quite sweeti had a new hobby and quite funny I'd go out and practice in the pouring rain. She had no inclination to venture outside and the littl'un was only one and nowhere near as adventurous as he is now.

As the weather has improved there has been growing disdain of my weekend golfing outings. I've tried to play 'off peak' to avoid holding up better golfers, which has the direct effect of writing the whole day off. It's a two way thing though where I want to spend more time in the great outdoors with my son enjoying having kickabouts and games of chase on the heath.

It's becoming more evident that the biggest challenge I face is balancing the necessary practice and playing time without having a detrimental effect on family life. I used to be able to practice my putting three nights per week. My don would obediently go to sleep when I put him down and the missus would run on her treadmill and we'd chat as I went through my drills on the mat. Now she's soaking up the dying embers of daylight on her outdoor runs and junior would rather cuddle for an hour than sleep in his cot.

Thing is that it's not a frustration, I actually live the quality time we are spending together, I just need to figure out a different way to put the hours in.

Comments:

Homer
I’m finding less is more in terms of practice. I know I’m swinging badly and why bother practicing something that isn’t working. Got a frindly game on Saturday, a lesson with my normal teaching pro on Sunday and a 4 ball better ball on Monday. I’m off next week and so can work on the drills from my lesson and then get out and play. I’m trying to get more holes in than hours on the practice ground and only really hit the range if I need to work on the swing.

You need to find the right balance for you but maybe cut back on the practice time a bit and get as many holes as your life will let you. No substitute for on course experience even if you only use the last hour of daylight and play 4-5 holes.

Spin77
Reality bites indeed. These issues have been worked out in our house by me getting up at 6am saturday/sunday to go and play. Its the only way to get out there without it ruining the weekend!

There’s an answer to it somewhere in the day mate

Tiger
I still think I’m in the ‘train it’ stage particularly on chips and pitches but with putting and longer game trusting on the course is paramount. Mondays round will be interesting as it’s the first time the fairway wood will be in the bag. It’s difficult at this stage as I’m getting so much out of playing and practicing. As for the missus early mornings mean she can’t go for her run. That would be a big mistake. Go too soon afterwards and she feels time pressured too long afterwards and the day is ruined. I think I just have to accept the ear ache once a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment